Edo Train Attack: 20 Kidnapped, Not 32 — Commissioner
The Commissioner for Communication in Edo, Mr Chris Nehikhare, says intelligence report has indicated that 20 persons are kidnapped at the Igueben train station in Edo and not 32 persons as reported.
Nehikhare announced this on Wednesday in Benin while giving an update of the incident in a chat with journalists.
He noted that seven of the abducted persons had been recused, recalling that the victims were waiting for a 4 p.m. train from Igueben station to Warri when the kidnappers abducted them on Jan. 7.
“The kidnappers successfully kidnapped 20 persons at the Igueben train station and not 32 persons as previously said.
“Out of the 20 persons, seven have been rescued while 13 persons are still with the kidnappers.
“The operation is still ongoing and we are confident that very soon, the ordeal of the innocent citizens will soon be over,” he said.
He further said that the Deputy Governor of Edo, Mr Phillip Shaibu, had conversation with traditional rulers in the locality on the consequences of harbouring kidnappers.
“If kidnappers are found residing or using any of the property in the community, such property would be forfeited to the state government and would be destroyed.
“Also, if at any point those that use the facility were found to have killed any of their captive, owner of such facility would be charged for murder and prosecuted along with the perpetrators of the crime,” he warned.
“The deputy governor also told the traditional rulers to increase surveillance in their areas to prevent crime.
He advised the media to work with the information from the government and not from other sources for the safety of the family of the victims.
The commissioner stated that Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo had assured the families of the abducted train passengers of safety and rescue soon.
Nigeria’s Presidential Election Marred With Irregularities – U.S. Reps Member
Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, says she is “deeply concerned over the delays and serious allegations of irregularities, including fraud, by multiple independent observers in the recent Nigerian presidential election”.
In a statement released by Rep Ilhan, she demanded “swift action from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), along with a full accounting of allegations of voter suppression, delayed poll openings, the failure of the new electronic voting system, and a sharp decline in turnout.”
The statement read: “I am deeply concerned over the delays and serious allegations of irregularities, including fraud, by multiple independent observers in the recent Nigerian presidential election.
“I urge full transparency and swift action from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), along with a full accounting of allegations of voter suppression, delayed poll openings, the failure of the new electronic voting system, and a sharp decline in turnout.
“Democracy rests on free, fair, and transparent elections. When elections are not fair, open, and transparent, it’s disenfranchising and shatters faith in government. Nigeria’s low turnout already suggests a lack of faith in the country’s democratic institutions. It is critical that the process plays out correctly.
“Allowing electoral challenges to go through the system is a key part of a functioning democratic process. It is also a way to help build confidence and avoid protracted conflict.
“The international community should support an independent and transparent process and wait until these challenges are resolved before prematurely pronouncing a winner.”
INEC announced Bola Tinubu winner of the presidential election amidst calls for the cancellation of the poll by the PDP and Labour Party.
Election Must Hold As Planned, ‘No To Interim National Govt’ – Gen Olanrewaju
Former Nigeria’s Minister of Communications and General Officer Commanding (GOC) Third Armoured Division Nigerian Army, Major General Tajudeen Olanrewaju (Rtd), has declared his support for the February 25, 2023 general elections as already planned by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
In a statement sent to IfakoIjaiyeNews, he said in spite of whatever effort by anti-democratic forces within or without, the elections must hold as scheduled.
According to him, “Postponing the February election will lead to a low turnout of voters, and genuine winners will not emerge. Surely, the enthusiasm to come out to vote will drop.”
On insinuation of Interim National Government, General Olanrewaju posited that there must be no room for it, adding that his experience, in the consolidation of Interim National Government led by Chief Ernest Shonekan in 1993, puts him in better stead to speak against it at this time.
The former Corps Commander Artillery Nigerian Army, who commended President Muhammadu Buhari’s commitment to a successful transition of power as scheduled to kick off in three weeks time, said the best legacy the Daura-born President will be remembered for leaving behind for coming generation of Nigerian leadership is actualised civillian-to-civillian transition of power, democratically.
The prominent Lagos State-born General reviewed the situation of impunity in public and private places, which has resulted in the agonising new Naira notes and fuel scarcity across the country, and assured Nigerians that those challenges are not enough excuses to disrupt the transition election process embarked upon by government.
He, therefore, threw his weight behind President Buhari on doing whatever reasonably possible to clear the problems, adding that any banker or petroleum marker, who has respectively hoarded cash or products to sabotage the process and thereby igniting public unrest should be appropriately handled because nobody is more powerful than state.
“Mr. President has the capacity to handle the situation and he has my support for doing exactly that because, nobody stands in the way government has taken for the good of the people, except that such person is incurring the wrath of the law requiring that government takes action against him and the nation moves on,” the General said.
“…in another climes, these bankers who inflict pains on citizens would have been in the gulag. They are simply wicked. Yes, the new notes are limited in supply to the public but can be shared pro rata on the counters by the banks for the low income customers to meet minimum demands.
“This is a good monetary policy, but ‘shylockly’ handled for personal gains along the distribution chain to the consumers. Nigerians like inflicting pains and injuries on fellow citizens. This is not a matter of leadership at the top, but it cuts across down to the grassroots.
“We (Nigerian citizens) need to assist the government in succeeding at this time. If you don’t have fuel and low value currency, it’s the poor people who will suffer in the supply and demand chain,” Retired Major General Tajudeen Olanrewaju said.
He added that, “Banks are sufficiently stocked with enough new notes that there’s no reason for Nigerians to be going through the current suffering. This is just terrible. This is not a matter of leadership at the top,” he said.
Speaking on the governorship election of Lagos State, General Olanrewaju said, “Lagosians must shine their eyes this time around. The 2023 elections will determine our identity, rights, and future. Every genuine IBILE (IBILE (Ikorodu, Badagry, Ikeja, LAGOS and Epe) citizen must be ready to challenge the present status-quo and liberate themselves from one man dictatorship.
“The Lagos State revenues have to be redefined. The upland communities have suffered from development as our collective heritage and resources have been sold out for the benefit of a few powerful elements in the state. As ÌBILE citizens, let’s vote wisely for the benefit of all of us. IBILE had never been so downgraded the way it is today,” General Olanrewaju, who is also Trustee of Omo Eko Pataki, said.
In the meantime, Major General Tajudeen Olanrewaju has called for immediate removal of the INEC representative in Lagos over his alleged statement that he has no option than to engage the Lagos State Park Management Committee headed by Alhaji Musiliu Akinsanya a.k.a. MC Olu-Omo, a Lagos State APC chieftain, to distribute election materials in an exercise being contested by many political parties.
Government Orders Universities To Shut Down For 2023 Elections
The Federal Government, through the National Universities Commission (NUC), has directed all Universities and Inter-University Centres to shut down and academic activities suspended from February 22 to March 14.
The directive was contained in a circular dated February 3, 2023 and addressed to all Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities and Directors/Chief Executives of Inter-University Centres.
In the circular seen by IfakoIjaiyeNews, NUC said Vice-Chancellors, as well as Directors/Chief Executives of inter-university centres, are by this Circular requested to shut down their respective Institutions from Wednesday 22 February 2023 to Tuesday 14 March 2023.”
The circular reads in parts: “As Vice-Chancellors of all Universities and Directors Chief Executives of Inter University Centres are quite aware, the 2023 General Elections have been scheduled to hold on Saturday 25 February 2023, for the Presidential and National Assembly, and Saturday 11 March 2023 for Gubernatorial and State Assembly, respectively.
“In view of the foregoing and concerns expressed on the security of staff, students and properties of the our respective institutions, the Honourable Minister of Education, Mal. Adamu Adamu has following extensive consultations with the relevant security agencies, directed that all Universities and Inter University Centres be shut down and academic activities be suspended between 22 February and 14th March, 2023.
“Consequently, Vice-Chancellors, as well as Directors/Chief Executives of inter-university centres, are by this Circular requested to shut down their respective Institutions from Wednesday 22 February 2023 to Tuesday 14 March 2023.”
COMMUNITY NEWS4 months ago
Police Arrest Notorious Armed Robber Living In Iju-Ishaga
COMMUNITY NEWS6 months ago
Revealed: How Ifako-Ijaiye LNSC Boss Runs A One-Man Show, Pockets Largesse Meant For The Office
COMMUNITY NEWS6 months ago
Know Your Elected Officials In Ifako-Ijaiye Local Government
COMMUNITY NEWS6 months ago
One Year After Winning N690,000 Scholarship, Young Girl Receives Just N60,000
COMMUNITY NEWS4 months ago
Notorious Cultist Killed, Eyes Removed, Arms Chopped Off In Front Of Soulmate Hotel (Graphic Image)
COMMUNITY NEWS4 months ago
Police Arrest Car Snatchers Living In Fagba, Recover Stolen Car
COMMUNITY NEWS5 months ago
EXPOSED: How Soulmate Hotel Leaves Residents Living In Fear, Bondage
COMMUNITY NEWS8 months ago
Revealed: How Ifako-Ijaiye PDP Plans To Unseat APC In 2023